Judy and Ed Furche Family Scholarship
Established February 25, 2013
The Judy and Ed Furche Family Endowed Scholarship is created and established by the family of Judy and Ed Furche and faculty and staff of Hommel Elementary School to benefit Everman ISD students and honor Judy Furche’s thirty-seven years of service to education and Everman ISD.
Judy Furche graduated from Texas Christian University in 1975 with a Bachelor's Degree of Science in Elementary Education and in 1982 with a Master’s Degree in Counseling. She began her career in Everman ISD in 1975 at E. Ray Elementary as a sixth grade teacher. She taught for seven years and became a counselor in 1983, serving both Souder Elementary and E. Ray Elementary campuses.
Ms. Furche became principal of Hommel Elementary in 1991 where she served with distinction for ten years. She retired from campus administration and served as a teacher mentor from 2001 to 2011. She was called back to administrative duty as the principal of Hommel Elementary in 2011 and served in that capacity for two more years.
Her career is described by many as joyous, a celebration music and dance with the assurance that all students in her charge are loved, encouraged, motivated, honored, respected and ultimately successful. It is the desire to recognize this great educator’s contribution to children that motivated her faculty and staff at Hommel to establish this scholarship in her honor, to continue the message of hope and future to children for years to come.
The Judy and Ed Furche Family Endowed Scholarship is intended for student scholarships to attend a post-secondary two-year or four-year college or university. Any Everman graduate is eligible for this scholarship.
Scholarship recipients of Judy and Ed Furche Family Endowed Scholarship must demonstrate the following attributes, qualifications and requirements:
- Be a graduating senior of the Joe C. Bean High School or Everman Academy or any high school in the district to be added in the future
- Have at least 85 GPA on their high school transcript
- Have been admitted as a student to an accredited college or university
- Submit application for the scholarship by May 1st
Note: As long as the class valedictorian receives a scholarship from the State of Texas, this person will not be considered for the Furche Family scholarship.
Other Aspects Regarding the Scholarship
- Diversity will be honored in the selection of recipients.
- Donors may have the privilege of making recommendations among applicants.
- Financial need will be considered in awarding the scholarship.
- Based on earnings of the corpus, the Everman ISD Education Foundation may award more than one scholarship.
Provisions for Application
A student making application for the Judy and Ed Furche Family Endowed Scholarship shall provide the following materials:
- Letter of Application
- Student resume of activities and awards
- High school transcript
- Three letters of recommendation or reference (church, business, school)
- Applications will be due no later than May 1st
A scholarship committee comprised of representatives from EISD Administration, EISD Education Foundation, appropriate high school campus administration and faculty shall review all applications and make a final selection for award. The decision of the selection committee is final and not subject to appeal. Announcement of the scholarship recipient will be made at the annual Senior Awards Program and/or the community Baccalaureate program, wherein acknowledgement will also be made to Judy and Ed Furche and the entire Furche family.
Provisions for Payment
A check for $250 will be issued from the Everman ISD Education Foundation to the college or university upon evidence of enrollment as a student and acknowledgement from student. Funds are payable on or before the 12th day of the semester.