Dr. John and Mrs. Polly Townley Scholarship
Dr. John and Mrs. Polly Townley have been a part of Everman History for fifty years. He began his career in Everman as a teacher and coach, but immediately became principal, and later superintendent of schools. Mrs. Townley served as school secretary and unofficial nurse to students and friend to everyone. It was in their honor that the John and Polly Townley Elementary Campus was named and opened in fall of 2009.
Dr. John Townley is a graduate of Weatherford Junior College, Texas Wesleyan College and the University of Texas at Austin. He served Everman ISD, as a teacher, coach, principal and superintendent. During his tenure as Superintendent of the Everman Independent School District, he was the key leader in keeping the district open, despite major financial issues. He also managed the first enrollment boom, with the total number of students doubling from one year to the next. He immediately began construction on what is now Bishop Elementary in order to provide enough classrooms for the growing school district.
His students, both in the classroom and on the basketball court, loved him. They respected the rules for participation in athletics, as they knew he was likely checking their homes to be sure the athletes were in by curfew.
One of his first students was a bright young man with promise: Dr. Joe C. Bean, who in later years followed Dr. Townley’s footsteps as Superintendent of Everman. Dr. Townley also served Pharr-San Juan Alamo, Taylor, and Irving ISD as Superintendent of Schools. He retired in 1986 with 37 years of service to Texas Public Schools. After retirement, he taught at The University of North Texas for five years.
Polly Townley served Everman as the school secretary, nurse, sponsor, mother-figure. She knew every student by name and continues to be a part of their lives, as was Dr. Townley. Their former students indicate that their influence has lasted a lifetime, and their legacy will be a part of eternity.
In recognition of the opening of The John and Polly Townley Elementary Campus, the Townleys are establishing a dedicated scholarship fund for an Everman ISD graduate who attended John and Polly Townley Elementary. The scholarship will be funded as follows:
- A $500 gift annually from the Townleys to be held in escrow in the EISD Education Foundation. All interest earned from the escrow will be deposited into the John and Polly Townley Scholarship Fund.
- That gift will be placed in a dedicated scholarship fund to earn interest until an endowment level is achieved.
- The first eligible class to apply for this scholarship will be the fourth grade class at Townley elementary, projected to graduate in spring, 2018.
- The John and Polly Townley Scholarship will be awarded in the amount of $250. The Scholarship will be awarded annually beginning in 2018.
- Students will make application for the Townley scholarship, which will be awarded based on:
- Attended fourth grade at Townley
- Cumulative GPA
- Extra-curricular activities
- Participation in community service
- Recognized financial need
- Accepted into a two-year or four-year college
- Major in education preparation leading to certification as a teacher.
- Initial applications will be due on May 1, 2018, with the award announced at the Senior Awards Program. A selection committee will interview applicants and determine the recipient. Principals at Townley Elementary and Everman High School will serve on the selection committee.
- The scholarship will be paid to the College registrar on behalf of the student after enrollment is verified.
- The John and Polly Townley Scholarship is a one-time award and is not available for further awards to the same student. Subsequent awards in later years will be dependent on available funding.